Sunday, December 11, 2011

It's Been a Year

Hi, Daddy.

It's been a year that you've been gone. I think about you every day, even if just for a moment. I look at a picture of you and remember little things you might say. "Yah, yah." "OK, honey." I remember your peanut butter sandwiches with butter on them or your dish of gumdrops. I play with your key chain from the university. I triple-check to make sure my candle is out before I go to bed. We were in Wausau for Thanksgiving and I spent some time in the basement. Your candles, your artwork, your Snoopy memorabilia. And all those supplies for your homemade greeting cards! So many things that are so "you."

I tried to think of what sort of things you missed this last year. We've had jobs, and we've lost jobs. The Packers won the Super Bowl last year, and they're doing great again this season! The Brewers did well, too, but you'd have to ask Mother about that. You know I'm not much of a baseball person. We got a new TV, and I remember when we got our first color TV when I was a kid. And when we visit, your boy looks forward to a chance to play with your Atari.

We bought your grandson his own violin (no more rental!), and I remember how you'd let him play for you when we'd visit. He wears your cross necklace almost every day. And for concerts, he's usually wearing one of your ties and tie clips. Mother's started using the computer, and that reminds me how you'd play online games with your grandchildren or chat with all of us. She's getting the hang of email and even Facebook! But we still manage to talk on the phone for a long time when one of us calls. We upgraded our cell phones, and I remember how you kept your first one in the trunk of the car so it wouldn't be in the way but was there if you needed it.

I've still got one stem from one of the poinsettias we got last year. It hasn't grown much, but it's hanging in there. I hope you don't mind, but sometimes I post pictures of you. Most of them are from before I was even born. But it's cool to see you in high school or in the Army. When we eventually get snow, I'll start wearing your red hunting coat again. It's perfect for shoveling, and I know I'm visible!

Just last week I was thinking about Christmas when I was a kid. You're an important part of those memories, from putting lights on the tree to taking movies of us hanging tinsel to bringing up all those gifts after we were finally in bed. Thanks for that, and for putting up the big Santa every year.

I'm sure there have been other things we would have talked about. A lot happens in a year! But I know you've been keeping an eye on things. And I bet your ears have been ringing, because there are a lot of conversations that include, "...your Grandpa K..."

Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you. We didn't say it a lot in person, but I love you, Daddy. Stay with the group!

3/3/32 - 12/12/10

2 comments:

  1. That is Beautiful! We sometimes forget the things that are most important. He would be proud!

    ReplyDelete