Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goodbye "Old," Hello "New"

So, what does one say as one prepares to greet a new year?

I'm sure I have nothing different to offer than anyone else sharing their thoughts today. "I hope this new year is the best one yet!" Yeah, like that hasn't been said before.

But, perhaps, I've just had my moment of enlightenment.

I realize that I don't have much interest in the televised entertainment celebrating New Year's Eve. I'd much rather watch an "old" movie, a countdown show of the past year's most memorable events, or something honoring influential people the world has lost in the last 12 months. I want to flash back to parties of the past, remembering to be grateful for those who have had the most impact on my life.

And that could be the problem. Surely, there's nothing wrong with holding on to those treasured moments and memories. We pull them from a shoebox tucked away on a shelf (both literally and figuratively) and chuckle or sigh as we stroll down memory lane.

But the past is...well, the past. Since I don't have a TARDIS, I can't change anything that's already happened, for better or for worse. Rather, I should continually be looking forward to "tomorrow." Plan for what I can and act accordingly...and plan on being surprised by life, too.

I'm not going to say "good riddance" to 2013. Like every other year, it had its ups and downs. Good days and bad days all rolled into one fairly typical year. I'm not going to say that 2014 will be the best one ever, either. I've had some pretty awesome moments in my life that can never be matched or topped. (Besides, I don't want to "jinx" any of the good stuff most certainly headed my way.) 

The past has made me who I am, and the future will make me who I am going to be. I will not allow myself to be stuck in a lifetime of yesterdays, and I will not be afraid of a lifetime of tomorrows. I will remind myself of what Doctor Who said, something along the lines of, "We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one." My life has been a page-turner to me so far. I can always flip back and reread the best passages, but it will more fun to keep looking forward to the next chapter. But no peeking!

Wow...that seems like a bit of a rambling post. I'd better wrap up Chapter 2013, pop in a bookmark, and get ready to see what happens next in Chapter 2014.

Happy New Year, everyone, and make your story a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment