Thursday, November 15, 2012

They're Grrrreat!

Well, how 'bout that? I'm a great-aunt! Not once, but twice...in the same week! Extra cool when you consider that the mothers are twin sisters.

But wait a minute. Aren't great-aunts old? I didn't know any of mine very well. I'd see most of them once or twice a year. The ones "in town" maybe more often. But when I was young, it wasn't easy trying to remember who was who. Which side, Mom's or Dad's? Then--again--which side, Grandma's or Grandpa's? Then add their spouses to the mix... But I seem to remember that they were almost always referred to as a couple. You couldn't mention one without naming the other.

For me, it's another one of those life milestones. It's one thing when your siblings start having kids. I remember how excited I was to be an aunt as a college freshman! But when those kids start having kids of their own, it's a whole new ballgame. No more denying that the "little kids" are all full-fledged adults. The family tree keeps branching out.

One thing I know for sure if I want to be a great great-aunt (well, two things): I'd better learn how to play Sheepshead and it may be time to give my hair a blue rinse!

1 comment:

  1. How did you blue rinse go?
    And you and I can learn Sheepshead together. Apparently when my Man's family gets together thats all they do. They don't even use the rest of the deck. I wonder if thats a comment on why hes dating me...not a full deck.....

    ReplyDelete