Monday, April 7, 2014

I Can't Resist a Finale

Remember when the TV season basically paralleled the school year? First-run shows were on (more or less) from Labor Day to Memorial Day, occasionally being preempted and with some scattered repeats. It's so hard to keep track of a TV schedule these days, however. 

Some shows are on the same day at the same time each week, but they seem to take breaks when viewership is expected to dip (e.g., Christmas season, the Olympics). Some series seem to run for the first "half" of the regular season then go on an extended hiatus. Another series takes its place for a month or two, or it might not return until fall. Cable television is all over the map. One show may run September through December, another from January through May, something else through the summer, and so forth in order to always have a "season premiere" in practically every month of the year. Makes it tough to get attached to a show because you just never know when to keep your eyes open for it.

That being said, I still find myself drawn to the finale episode of a show that's run for more than a few years. That's certainly true if I've been a regular viewer, but also if I'm just casually on the fringe. I count three in as many recent weeks. Did most shows even get a finale episode back in the "old days"? I remember parts of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show (note: Now that I think about it, I believe it was actually "Newhart" that I recall), M*A*S*H...felt kind of let down by Seinfeld...and of course, there was LOST. (I wrote about that here. Hard to believe it's been almost four years.)

Tonight, I watched Being Human on SyFy. It's a remake of a British series about a ghost, a werewolf, and a vampire who become roommates and best friends. I enjoyed the first two seasons but admit I hadn't kept up for the last two. Like the advisory says, some material is graphic and violent. Clearly it's not one that everyone would enjoy. While it clearly had supernatural elements to it, at its core it was really about relationships with family and friends and how those interactions can destroy you or uplift you. I didn't actually cry, but there were definitely some emotionally moving moments. I wouldn't call it a "happy" ending, but for me, it was the "right" ending. I think they were more human than a lot of people you meet.

Last week I watched the finale of How I Met Your Mother. Though I rarely watched, I didn't completely avoid it during its nine seasons. I knew the premise and was familiar with the characters. It was fun when I saw it, but it never hooked me enough to make it onto my weekly schedule. Honestly, I can't imagine what kind of new situations could sustain that set-up for that long. But it was such a part of pop culture that I didn't want to feel left out by missing the ending. Since I wasn't a regular viewer, the resolution didn't really matter to me. But I could relate to a close-knit group of friends who believe they'll always be there for each other and reach a point where life just pulls them in different directions. Again, it's about interactions with friends and family and those people who are family by your choice rather than by blood.

A few weeks back, I watched the last Psych. Eight wacky seasons came to an end. I think we started watching it only because it followed Monk, but I'm sure glad we did. Sometimes the show's schedule was frustrating. USA network would run maybe six episodes, then there would be a hiatus, then another six would air. Just when you settle into the routine of watching, you were forced to take a break! But it was worth it. It wasn't a heavy "police drama," but there was a crime to solve each week. There were serious moments, exciting scenes, and of course, comedy. But at the risk of sounding like a broken record, part of what made the show successful was the variety of relationships. The main character's father was on regularly, and his mom made several appearances. Other characters had visits from their family members, too. Was there a "traditional" family a la Leave it to Beaver or The Cosby Show (which was sort of a recurring inside joke on the show)? No, but the family relationships were just as complicated as any in your life or in your neighborhood. What really kept the show going was the friendship between the two male lead characters. It was so much fun to see two men (in their 20s and/or 30s?) who had been friends since they were kids still genuinely care about and want to spend time with each other. Sure, they had different lifestyles and habits and goals, but even at the end, the bond they shared was really what mattered the most. This was also a show that really used social media for all it's worth. Lots of Twitter activity, online games, and even an overnight marathon. What other fan base would stay up all night to re-watch episodes? It could only happen because of the cyberspace community that could share the experience. *sigh* That's one show I am going to miss.

So, what's my point? I guess it's simply that I'm glad these shows existed in the first place. All good things must come to an end, but at least I know that television can still find the right formula for a quality show once in awhile.

Is there anything you've been sad to see end recently?

"It's a long way...to Tipperary. It's a long way...to go..."


No comments:

Post a Comment